Friday, November 4, 2022

80s in November

Saturday 9: New Attitude (1984)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Patti Labelle sings that she feels good from her hat to her shoes. Do you often wear hats or caps? Only to a baseball game...
 
2) The lyrics tell us that Patti's worries are few. Is anything particular bothering you as you answer these questions? No, I'm good. I went to the singles' groups' Happy Hour. Nice folks. I'm meeting people, no "friends" yet...
 
3) The video for this song takes place in a high-end boutique. What's the most recent article of new clothing you bought, and where did you buy it? I bought golf shirts and jeans from Amazon before I moved in May.

4) In 2019, a street in Philadelphia was renamed "Patti LaBelle Way." At the ceremony, she was referred to as "The Godmother of Soul." Do you have godparents? If yes, tell us about them. If I did, I have no idea. I like the question. My brother and I know we had them, but no idea who they were...
 
5) Patti dropped out of high school during her senior year. When she was in her mid-30s, she went to night school and earned her diploma. Do you have any diplomas or certificates framed and displayed in your home or office? No. Not my style.
 
6) Patti was once engaged to Otis Williams, founder of the Motown super group The Temptations. Who is your favorite Motown recording artist? (Here is a list.) The Four Tops.
 
7) A diabetic herself, Patti has volunteered her time to organizations that fight the disease. Do you know anyone currently dealing with diabetes? Yes. She's doing very well.
 
8) In 1984, when this song was popular, Angela Lansbury premiered in Murder, She Wrote, a show still seen in reruns today. Were you a fan? My mom's favorite show. I used to buy her the books.

9) Random question: What's your secret to a good night's sleep? Medication.

 

15 comments:

  1. I got to hear the Four Tops in concert back in the early 80's. I sure did like the footwork of the early performing Motown artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saturday 9, yeah, whatever. I really want to ask you about Yankees baseball. Or, more accurately, Yankee fans. Did you see Aaron Judge BOOED at home during the playoffs? My first thought was, what the ever-loving fuck? I'm a Cub fan and would never boo one of my guys within The Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field. So I'm shocked. Is this an aberration or a Yankee fan thing? Did they ever boo Jeter? (PS They better never boo my baby, Anthony Rizzo. I can't take them all on! PPS I believe Rizzo wants to re-sign.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We booed Jeter. We booed Mantle. It's NY. It's a very tough place. But I think it was ll overblown...

      Delete
    2. I guess that's why Wrigley is called The Friendly Confines. We literally tried to pull Steve Bartman limb from limb, and any right-thinking Cub fan would have gleefully, lustily thrown back any stinking Pujols home run ball regardless of resale value, but we never boo our own guys. Your girl (and my imaginary best friend) Suzyn suspects Rizzo is exempt from all this hostility because he answers the Bleacher Creatures during roll call with the Italian finger purse gesture. PS Thinking of Rizz, which I am whenever I'm awake: He's STILL in Manhattan! He and his wife have been out with Judge and the Mrs. and he goes to the same neighborhood deli in the morning for bagels. Anyway, Florida Man hates cold weather and usually gets to Ft. Lauderdale and his boat as soon as the season is over. So my guess is he and his agent are talking to the Yankees and trying to get a deal done. (Yeah, he's not supposed to negotiate until the Series is over, but he's never been especially patient or careful about such rules.)

      Delete
    3. I think he'll opt out unless the Yanks offer a multiyear deal. I hope they do. What a fucking class act Rizzo is!

      Delete
  3. I hope you meet some friends soon! It is fun to hang out with friends sometimes! It sounds like things are going well there! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. #8 It was also my mother's favorite show, I never thought of buying her the books. It probably would have made a Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bud, nice to see you back. Hope things are going well there in your new life. Sounds like they are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Arizona for a few years a few years back. I loved it there, so I hope you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to watch Murder She Wrote with my grandparents and we made fun of the awful fake Maine accents.

    ReplyDelete