Friday, February 16, 2024

Talking With Food

1) The song is about a fellow who is exasperated by men flirting with his girl. Do you have a jealous streak? 

Let's just say, if someone tried to serenade my server with bad pickup lines, their uptime might suddenly become "downtime." But jealousy? Nah, I'm more like an old man Don Juan, spreading love to all.

2) He's blue after a quarrel with Sue. Did you exchange harsh words with anyone recently? 

Let's just say I had a heated debate with my toaster this morning. It kept burning my toast, and I felt personally attacked. But when you live alone, you talk and argue with food.

3) "Paper Doll" was #1 for 12 weeks in 1943-44, sold 11 million copies and remains one of the best-selling singles of all time. Had you heard it before today? 

Oh, yes, I remember "Paper Doll" like it was yesterday. I used to play it on my gramophone while rollerblading through the living room in my finest 1940s attire.

4) As kids, the Mills Brothers worked on their harmonies in front of their father's Piqua, OH, barbershop, much to the delight of passers by. Do you often encounter street musicians in your neighborhood? 

Oh, yes, they're practically my neighbors. In fact, I've considered inviting them over for tea and a jam session, but I'm not sure if they'd appreciate my kazoo solos.

5) The Mills Brothers were a long way from that street corner when, in 1936, they became the first African Americans to perform for the British Royal Family. It's about 4,000 miles from Piqua to London. What's the farthest you've ever been from home? 

London, on my honeymoon. Which one is anybody's guess.

6) In the early 1930s, the Mills Brothers not only performed songs on radio, they sang jingles for Standard Oil and Crisco. What commercial can you recall having seen (or heard) lately? 

This is a week after The Super Bowl. Don't tempt me.

7) In 1943, when "Paper Doll" was popular, WWII was raging and the US Mint began producing steel pennies because copper was needed for ammunition. Do you have any pennies in your pocket or wallet right now?  

 Oh, yes, I have a whole collection of them. I like to pretend I'm a wealthy pirate with a treasure trove of copper doubloons.

 8) Also in 1943, a bottle of Coke was a nickel. When did you most recently have a soft drink? What was it? 

An hour ago. My addiction to Diet Coke is severe.

9) Random question: Have you learned more from your successes, or your failures?

Oh, definitely from my failures. They're like life's way of saying, "Hey, remember that thing you thought you were good at? Well, think again!"

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Bud!
    I keep forgetting you are really aren't much of a city boy. In Chicago and Los Angeles, it's not at all uncommon to be serenaded by street musicians. I remember being stopped at a corner on Michigan Avenue where a guy with a guitar was strumming "Here Comes the Sun." I was waiting for the light to change beside two foreign businessmen who were speaking in what I assumed was Japanese. They turned to each other and started to sing in heavily accented English, "Little darling, it's been a long, cold, lonely winter ..." I thought how lovely it must be to be a Beatle, to know your art had such reach and universality and permanence.
    You should post more. I wonder how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, your answers are always so funny. Why did I get a visual of you fighting with your toaster? I love it.
    It is good to see you again! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your answers, yeah, we saw a few good commercials last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. London must have been interesting. Maybe you need a new toaster.

    ReplyDelete