Saturday, August 3, 2013
Sunshine Of Your Love
2) "I'm a Believer" is the best-selling Monkees song. Can you name another one? No. There is only one best selling song.
3) On their TV show, the boys competed for the same girl. Have you and a friend ever been romantic rivals? Of course. Mostly with Harvey Wallbanger. He usually won.
4) In another episode, the Monkees visited the circus. If you were confident there was a good strong net beneath you, would you walk across the high wire? Not with a gun pointed at my temple.
5) The Monkees show originally aired on Monday nights. Do you have a favorite day of the week? Saturday. There is no work, way till Monday.
6) Davy Jones guest starred on an episode of The Brady Bunch. The plot revolved around Marcia's efforts to get him to perform at the prom. Share one of your memories from a school dance. The last high school dance was my senor prom. WTIT DJs from that prep school that I hated were the only good thing that I remember. None were part of the “starting 5” or original five as I like to call us now. But, we had no limit on DJs and many joined just to go to out infamous parties. That night, Ken Kolt & I (with dates) drove to the school. Bull Durham, Hunt Winklee, Carter B. Teddy Q & Benny Hedges met in the parking lot and went in as a group. We could not have been drunker. I total no-no are our conservative school. The band sucked so we built a pyramid of Coke cans. When you are that fucking bored, you leave. We decided to head to the after party. As Ken and our dates and I headed to the car, Ken got grabbed by the athletic director who latterly looked like a big penis. Everyone called him “Pud” behind his back. He tells Kenny that he is so drunk that he should be expelled.
I was leaning on Ken’s car as I overheard this. I hear the teacher say, “I tell you what, if you promise to drive right home, I will not report you.” Ken replies, “Ya know Pud, everyone thinks your are an asshole. You’re not nearly as big an asshole as they say…” I’m thinking, “Great. We get busted and tossed out of school.” Not that I wanted to stay, but we were graduating in two weeks. To my amazement, Pud laughs and says, “Just get the fuck out of here.” So off we were to the after party. I had the directions, since the dude’s cabin was in the middle of nowhere. I was too drunk to sit upright, so I read the directions to Kenny as I was lying with my head on my date’s lap. By the time we arrived, the party was in full swing. The Cream’s “Sunshine of Your Love” was playing and we were finally in our element. The irony was that we turned out to be the only kids that didn’t get lost. I should have decided to call my method of directions “LapQuest”. Maybe I could sue now.
7) At the height of their popularity, the Monkees' faces and logo appeared on a lot of merchandise, including lunch boxes. Which would you rather have for lunch -- chicken salad, tuna salad or egg salad? Man, Gal, this was a stretch. I’ll go with tuna.
8) You have an afternoon all to yourself. Would you rather spend it at the mall, checking out what's new in the stores and people watching, or walking through the forest, observing the birds and trees and leaves? I’ll do the walk. I hate malls which is why I LOVE Amazon. I find very few people worth watching.
9) Do you have a good memory for names? No, but I never forget a breast.
That’s it. Kathy & I see her brother and his wife this afternoon. Why we are going is anybody’s guess. They clearly don’t like each other. They opted out of our fucking wedding. I asked Kathy why we were going. She replied, “To get it over with.” How do you argue wit that stupidity? I’m starting bloody’s at 11 AM. Peace & love…