Saturday, July 6, 2013

I'm Your Captain

 

Thanks to Diana for recommending the Mamas and the Papas. (You can listen to the song here.)
 
1) The lyrics include the line, "Love can never be exactly what we want it to be." Are you happy with your love life? Extremely. But the line is only true when you are young and naïve. As you age you realize that no one is going to be perfect. You learn to love someone who is perfect for you.

2) Another lyric is, "Each night before you go to bed, whisper a little prayer for me." Do you say your prayers? I just got out of the hospital. When asked which religion I responded, “None.” So, no praying here.

3) Mama Michelle and Papa John were married in real life. It didn't end well -- not for the couple and not for the band. Do you believe you could work successfully with a romantic partner? No. I believe it’s over exposure.

4) After the band broke up, Michelle tried her hand at acting and eventually became a regular on the nighttime soap, Knott's Landing. Of course, she could live off of her music royalties while she learned her new craft. If money was no object, what career would like to try? If talent was no object, I’d be just a singer in a rock & roll band.

5) There is a famous rumor -- completely false -- that Mama Cass died while eating a ham sandwich. Can you think of another urban legend? Jimmy Hoffa being buried in the old Giants stadium was a good one, no?

6) In the 1960s, every high school girl wanted to wear her hair like Michelle and Cass -- long and straight. Can you recall a fashion trend from your school days? Tight white jeans. Everyone looked liked they sold Good Humors.

7) With the Fourth of July falling on Thursday, are you able to enjoy a looooong four-day holiday weekend? It started oddly, but tonight we are going to see Mark Farner of Grand Funk. Our town has a spectacular 4th celebration that is considered the best in the state. WTIT DJ The Midnight Plowboy is working there, so I hope to chat with him. Johnnie Walker is coming into town next weekend and I want to invite him to sit in on a WTIT session.

8) Many communities have parades to celebrate Independence Day. Have you ever ridden on a float or marched in a parade? When I hosted a morning show at WMAS, I was on the station’ s float in Holyoke (Mass.)’s St Patrick Day Parade. Other than NYC, it;’s the biggest parade on the date.

9) In honor of the Fourth of July, name your favorite Founding Father. John Hancock. That fucker could sign his name very big.

Hope your holiday weekend is going great! Peace, love and apple pie! See you next time...

11 comments:

  1. When I was in junior high and high school, I was obsessed with finding out what my favorite DJs looked like. There was so much mystery to it! I would have loved seeing them in a local parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that anyone was impressed with sxeeing me. But then again, my wife tracked me down after 35 years ago seeing me as a DJ...

      Delete
  2. mmmmm apple pie!

    And Holyoke? REALLY?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with The Gal--I was a huge fan of our local DJs, enough so that when I was in college I got a DJ gig.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grand Funk is still around? Have fun doing the locomotion....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grand Funk is still around without Mark. Mark has his own band, but the playlists are the same...

      Delete
  5. So, wait: you just got out of the hospital?? What the hooey-heck!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat-

      I had chest pains that wee nothing.. I shoulda made that point!

      Delete
  6. "You learn to love someone who is perfect for you"

    I like that!

    ReplyDelete