Saturday, June 8, 2013

Some Call It My Woody


Saturday 9: Sweet Caroline

1) "Sweet Caroline" has been sung during every Boston Red Sox home game since the 1990s. (Click here to watch Neil Diamond lead the fans in the first game after April's bombing.) Do you know the words well enough to sing along? Yes. At our wedding in October, we had Joe Greico (keyboard and singer extraordinaire) play the song. Being near Boston, everyone went crazy singing and dancing along. It really was the best wedding I’ve been to. Kathy’s plans seemed crazy to me. And then magic happened. Do I sound like a happily married guy? Yes I am.

2) Do you have a favorite major league baseball team? I’m all about The Yankees. My Dad is a Cubs fan because during the first World Series he remembers, he picked the Cubs over the Tigers. So when I watched my first World Series, I picked The Yanks over the Braves. I think I was luckier than he. My younger brother is a Cubs fan because of Dad. I hope he sees the Cubs win. He’s 87 and it’s never happened in his life.

3) Budweiser is the "official beer of major league baseball." Do you reach for a cold beer on a hot summer day? No, in spite of my name, I hate beer.

4) Every season, more than a million Vienna Beef Hot Dogs are consumed by baseball fans at Chicago's Wrigley Field. When you get a hot dog, what do you put on it? Usually just mustard and relish. But I love chili dogs the most.

5) The odds of a fan in the stands being hit by a baseball are 300,000 to 1. The odds of winning the lottery are (approximately) 1 in 12,000,000. Do you play the lottery? No. You can’t lose if you don’t play.

6) Though his song has been adopted by faithful Boston Red Sox fans, Neil Diamond was born and raised in New York City. Have you ever visited The Big Apple? Being in Connecticut, Boston & New York are both just 100 miles from me. I’ve been to The City many times. But, I’ve lived in Boston four years in college and over a year as Sales Manager of WBCN during my second marriage.

7) Baseball players are notoriously superstitious. For example, the Cubs' Matt Garza eats Popeye's fried chicken every day that he pitches. Joltin' Joe DiMaggio touched second base with his foot every time he ran on or off the field. Do you have any superstitions? Yes, I am sorry to admit. One day when I was still single they put some wood slabs in my favorite spot in the parking lot near my apartment. One day after a year or so, I saw they moved them to the grass to toss. I grabbed one to put it back. It stayed there another five years. When Kathy and I bought our house I left it there. One weekend Kathy insisted we go back for it. It’s now in my garage in front of my spot. What this all means is anybody’s guess.

8) A ball signed by Babe Ruth can fetch tens of thousands of dollars at auction. Have you ever asked a celebrity for his/her autograph? Ony with my kids at minor league games. Once when we saw the Albany Yankees we met Bernie Williams and he gave both my son’s autographs. We knew he was a top prospect, but his career really was borderline Hall of Fame.

9) Baseball means summer and summer means sun. Are you working on a tan, or do you slather on the sunscreen? No. I’d rather avoid cancer.

We are not around here much these days. But it’s is good to visit now and again. Hope you are all well. Peace.

10 comments:

  1. So this Bud is not for you, huh? That is one peculiar superstition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It;s a very silly thing that I have no idea why I did it...

      Delete
  2. Have you ever tried Capitol Lunch in New Britain? They have the best dogs around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never have. I worked in New Britain for two years and lived there for one year, although not at the same time...

      Delete
  3. Superstitions are funny, aren't they? And Sweet Caroline at the reception is such a wicked awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! So was everyone singing "American Pie"!

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy you and Kathy are so happy. And naturally, I hope your dad sees us reach The Promised Land soon, too. (I don't dare to dream that we WIN the Series, just getting there would be enough.) With Rizzo, Barney and Castro, I think we have the nucleus of the terrific young team. So I'm hopeful. Go, Cubs, Go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skin cancer sucks big time. We use to fry back in the day. Karma sucks.
    That's too funny you're not a Budwiser person.

    Love the wedding pic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy said to thank you for the "loving the wedding pic" part. I thank you for stopping by...

      Delete