Saturday, March 23, 2013

Over, Under, Sideways, Down

Saturday 9: In the Wee Small Hours 

My dad singing last spring.
1) Crazy Sam's mom and dad still talk about how exciting it was to see Sinatra in Vegas! What music did/do your parents enjoy? My mom was never a music person. She did, however, ask me to record a CD of her favorite songs (There were 12…) in the early 00’s. I offered to make a second CD. She replied, “Nope you got them all.” Trust me, I’ve never suggested an mp2 player. My dad at 87, the life long Cubbie fan who got to stand at home plate and in the dugout last season, sings at a piano bar every week. He sings mostly Louie Armstrong, but his taste is for all things standards. If you’ve read anything I’ve written in any of my blogs, you know I believe in rock there are The Beatles and there is
Ned, brother Mark, whoever & my dad.
everything else. That doesn’t mean I don’t follow current rock. I’ve recently added songs from Foster the People and Gaslight Anthem. I digress. My dad not only immediately recognized the greatness of the Fab Four, but also listened to nothing but my favorite rock station for 20 some years. He then went back to standards. He sand four songs at Kathy and my wedding to standing ovations.

2) We all know Sinatra sang, and he won an Oscar for his acting. But he also painted and was proud to sell a few canvasses anonymously (signed "Artanis"). Do you have a secret talent? I’m about all things music and radio. I’ve been a disco star. I guess if I have any degree of talent in writing, of which I have no idea, it would be a secret. I should find out, however. In the process of research for a book I plan to write., I should find out.

3) Those close to Sinatra maintained that every time he sang,"In the Wee Small Hours" (hear him perform it live here) he conjured up how it felt to lose his great love. Have you ever had your heart broken? Just Over, Under, Sideways & Down.

4) In 1966, when he was 50, Sinatra married 21 year old Mia Farrow. Their union lasted less than two years. Do you think a wide age gap necessarily dooms a romantic relationship? Yes. Have you noticed that it’s only millionaires and stars that young women “fall in love” with?

5) Offstage Sinatra wore orange sweaters and liked seeing orange throw pillows in his home and dressing room because he believed "orange is the happiest color." What color raises your spirits? None, but spirits have raised my color..

2012 - (from left) Cos (last heard in 1999), Galloping Gary (1967 founding member, last heard in 1982) & current DJs ~ Rock (since 1987) Bud (1967 founding member), Johnnie (1968 completing the original 5) & Midnight (1968-1995, 2012-present)~
6) Frank and his loyal buddies were famously known as "The Rat Pack." How many people do you consider close friends? Just my fellow WTIT DJs. In high school we had the original five plus five more who were “co-stars”. Since 2006, Johnnie Walker, Harvey Wallbanger, Rock Rolling and I have been the DJ staff. At our 45th anniversary party (my “stag” party), I was joined by Rock, Johnnie and The Midnight Plowboy, after a 17-year absence. At my wedding Midnight said that he’d return for any future recordings. What my wife observed, meeting Midnight for the first time, was how he seamlessly fit right back in.

7) Sinatra's children followed their father into show business. What advice would you give a young person entering your career of choice? “Have the ride of your life!”

8) Legend has it that Frank was embarrassed by a scar on his face (received at birth from the forceps used in his delivery) and worked hard to cover it. Do you have a physical characteristic that you try to hide? Nope. When you’re as great as I am, it’s hard to be humble. (Actually Galloping Gary’s sign-off on WTIT during his 15 year reign from 1967 to 1982.

9) In 1964, when he first heard The Beatles, Sinatra was very dismissive. By 1970, he called the Beatles' "Something" one of the most beautiful ballads ever. Tell us about something you changed your mind about. I never thought I’d marry again. I am so glad I found Kathy.

We will return. Let’s hope. Same time. Same blog.

4 comments:

  1. Loved reading about your dad. And the gang, I love that picture from your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad sounds like my kind of guy! Please keep him away from Chicago press. There's a very credible -- albeit heartbreaking -- rumor going around that the Cubs' owners are toying with taking down the scoreboard (yes, the iconic green scoreboard!) and replacing it with a JUMBOTRON. That is just sick and wrong.

    And I still believe you have a book in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad is too cool.

    Hope all is well with your and Kathy and that the snow ends for good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bud, happy to have found your blog through Kwizzie :) Hope you and Kathy are having the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete