Sunday, February 24, 2013

Rhythm of the Rain

Sunday Stealing: The (20) First (Questions) Meme

No, this was not the place.
First Job: I worked a snack bar at a country club. The guys they hired for the summer fucked them by quitting the first of August. A guy who recorded once or twice on WTIT, Tiny Tim, was asked to get a partner to finish the summer. I wasn’t even 16 yet. We were terrible. We couldn’t get fired and acted like it. The manager actually had to sit us down and tell us not to throw the food at the customers.

First Real Job: My first radio job was in the summer between my junior and senior years at college. A college friend (more of a friendly acquaintance) had worked there summers since high school and for reasons still unknown to me, got me the job. To thank him, I threw my first “groupie” his way.

First Volunteer Job: I coached Little League for over a decade.

First Car: A 1962 Chevy Impala that I burned to the ground after a night at a drive-in movie. My girlfriend and I both smoked and obviously we didn’t put them all out that night. When my folks got home, Gypsy Joe’s sister was cooking hot chocolate for the firemen in the kitchen. It was 2 AM. They asked my sister why she hadn’t called them. She replied, “You said only for something really important.”

First Record: The first album I bought was “Rick is 21” by Ricky Nelson. I believe the first single was “Rhythm of the Rain” by the Cascades.

First Sport Played: Baseball.

First Concert: Chubby Checker.

First Country Visited: England.

First Kiss: With who? I don’t honestly remember.

First Speech: Was in a speech class in high school.

First Girlfriend/Boyfriend: This first of consequence was named Debbie. We were 14. She was the first girl I ever saw naked.

First Encounter with a Famous Person: I crashed a small class in college to meet Rod Serling (Twilight Zone). I couldn’t believe I was the only guy to do it and no one in the class turned me in. I was in a group that stayed after class to chat. I gave one of my wise guy quips to him. First he looked startled then got the joke. He roared with laughter. A very nice down-to-earth gentleman.

First Brush With Death: I’ve told that story way too often.

First House/Flat Owned: I bought a condo after my first child was born. (I would father three more.)

First Film Seen at a Cinema: You’re fucking kidding, right?

First Media Appearance (Radio, Newspaper, TV): Newspaper for winning a costume contest.

First Hospital Stay: Was when I was born. Is this meme on steroids?

First Book You Remember Reading: The Hobbit.

First Pet: Blaze was a collie that looked just like *drum roll* Lassie.

First Election You Voted In: I voted for George McGovern over then President Nixon.

That was a rather good steal. We hope your weekend is swell. We could return. If we do it will be here. Same time. Same blog.

10 comments:

  1. Little league, a collie named Blaze and Rick Nelson. This could be the most All-American post I've ever seen from you. I LOVE IT!

    I also love it that you had to be told not to throw the food. I had a boyfriend back in the day who worked at Jack in the Box and had to be told that it is not good to 1) play counter hockey with pickle slices and then 2) not use said pickles on the Jumbo Jacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A two headed monster. Gypsy Joe & I were "The Gruesome Twosome"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed speech did you?
    come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes are killing me from all of the word verification. uuggghhhh...........

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would have loved to see Rod Serling. I think all of us in the food service gig, got the don't play with the food lecture. So we decided to see how far we could frisbee the pizza pans instead.

    TTFN
    Frank

    ReplyDelete