2) The lyrics say, "Whenever you're in trouble, you can stand by me." Tell us about someone you know you can count on. I’d start with my wife and include quite a list of both family and friends. And of course drug dealers.
3) While "Stand by Me" was solo Lennon, John is best known as one of the Beatles. Which group do you listen to more often -- The Beatles or The Rolling Stones? Seriously? The Beatles were innovators while the Stones were imitators. From “Let It Be” John Lennon wrote, “I roll a stone-ie, you can imitate anyone you know…” I own every Beatles song, every Lennon song & most of McCartney’s. I do like The Stones, but I wouldn’t drop a dime on anything they do today. Mick Jagger once said, “You won’t see us playing “Satisfaction” when we’re old, like 40.”
4) Lennon liked to tell how, when he and Paul McCartney were teens, Paul's father used to discourage friendship between the boys. Paul ignored his dad's advice and the result is the most successful songwriting partnership of the 20th century. Tell us about a piece of advice you're glad you ignored. “Get a real job” referring to my radio career.
5) John loved cats. When he was a teenager, he first met his favorite, a stray he named Tich, in the snow and gave the cat a safe, lifelong home. John was very proud that Tich lived to be 20 years old. Tell us about a pet who has a place in your heart. I’m not a pet person. So I’ll go with my virtual dog, Happy.
6) John unsuccessfully tried hypnosis in his quest to stop smoking. Have you ever been hypnotized? No. But when I worked at a comedy club in the 90s, the owner could do it. I was in awe watching him.
7) John has been inducted into both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. What Hall of Fame would like to see yourself in? At this point I think my only shot is in the WTIT Hall of Fame. Oh by the way, we totally redid the WTIT website. I couldn’t get anyone to update it. The last person to do so was in 2009. He was the lead singer in my son’s band So Long Davey. I contacted him. He emailed me that he only did flyers now. I did not know at the time that when he broke up the band, my son James and he have not spoke since. Kathy decided we could learn Yahoo Sitebuilder and do it ourselves. I really didn’t think we could. She figured it all out with me and then I was free to have the freedom, to do what I always envisioned it would be. Check it out here. Oh, and listen to a comedy bit or two…
8) John had a passion for slot cars and raced them on an elaborate track in his game room. What games or toys do you still enjoy? I never imagined Samantha asking (mostly) other women what toys they like.
9) John wrote about his jealous streak. What personality trait of yours do you wish you could change? I usually do well handling it but I can hav
e a temper. I think it’s an Irish thang.
At this point I usually do a rant. But since it's been so long since I wrote in this blog, I'm not sure what I've covered. (Oh and yes, Gal, the Lennon thing drew me in. :) Oh, I do think the whole Cano the the Mariners story has a missing piece. On the surface what either the Yanks or Robbie did makes no sense. And Ellsbury's contract is mind blowing. That's the sports. I'll do news & weather next time, whenever the fuck that is...